Sunday, January 6, 2013

The UGLY Truth

1 Crore. That's it? Yes, that's it. That is the average amount for a post graduation medical seat in any private hospital/college in India today. You may ask who pays so much? Turns out, MANY....many to the effect that there is waiting there too. Ridiculous much? Well, it may pinch some ones pocket, but it pinches my heart. Why? Is it that my father can not afford that money? Probably he can. Probably he can not. Can I afford it? Definitely not. Would I spend that much for my child just because the competition is tough and he/she is not hard working enough? Definitely not. Then I don't have the right to ask my father for the same.

I sometimes wish people thought on the same lines as I do. But then again, I don't completely blame them. Our Indian medical system is such that it is built with loop holes. Loop holes so big that most of the deemed and private hospitals are owned by politicians and what better way to fill their pocket holes? I have friends who have paid capitation and taken up seats. I do not look down upon them because it was their personal choice. Yes, I would be lying if I said it did not hurt knowing they got it easy and I am still struggling to get a seat. But when I think of it in the long run I don't feel so bad. I lost a year or two struggling now, learning it the hard way, but at least I do not live with the guilt that my education was so cheap (not in literal terms) that it was based on money. I do not want to abuse my brains and feel like a failure just because I did not get a seat via a common entrance.

For all non-medicos reading this, we had a common entrance for the whole of India, called NEET. There were almost 2 lakh students applying for this exam. The total number of seats available all over India via this exam is approximately 20,000. Out of this, 50% of the seats are for the reserved category. So hypothetically, for an open category candidate, like me, needs to be in the first 10,000 to secure a seat. That too, if I want a seat of my choice and in my city, I need to be within the first 1000 ranks. Surprised? Don't be.
People will say you knew this when you took up medicine. Yes, I knew it would be hard, but did I know that I would lose my faith in the system and profession so soon?

So, coming to the point what made me write this blog today. I happened to give an entrance today. I shall not disclose the name for obvious reasons but you do not need to be Einstein to figure out which one. Almost three weeks back I was contemplating whether to give this exam or no because it is a known fact that all the seats are rigged. However, my dad said give it as a back up so I filled the form of Rupees 3000 in total. I filled it knowing I was not going to study for it. And I did not. So I got up today and went for the exam. Never have I been so calm and relaxed for an entrance exam. I reach 15 minutes before the commencement of the exam and funny as it may sound, I went into a wrong classroom and sat on a wrong bench. Two minutes later I realised my mistake, so I picked up my belongings and stormed out of the class room leaving the rest behind thinking I am a moron.

I got into my actual class and took my seat. In front sat a girl wearing a black sweat shirt and diagonally in the next row sat a boy in a black and grey checked shirt and a black turban. The exam bell rang and everyone got busy in their own exam sheets. Three and a half hours is rather a long time for me to sit in one place without getting bored, especially when I have not been in touch with studies. So, one hour down I was already getting restless. I looked around and saw everyone else pretty engrossed in their papers. The benches being small I happened to notice that the girl in front of me had not marked (circled) a single answer on the answer sheet. I figured she is one of those who reads the whole paper and then marks her answers. Not wanting to waste more time, I got back to my paper.

One hour for the exam to get over. Suddenly a man, probably in his early 50's walked into the room, with two men who I presume to be working under him. This man, clad in white pants and a white khadi half sleeved shirt had a piece of paper in his hand. I, sitting on the third bench of the second row from the entrance did not find it difficult to read what was on the paper. It was a list of roll numbers. Surprisingly, the man started walking in my direction and stopped just before my desk. He looked at the girl in front of me, checked her roll number, confirmed it with the numbers on the paper he had, took her question booklet and marked something. I found this strange.

As soon as he was done with her, he started walking to the other side of the classroom and stopped at the boy with the turban's desk and did the same. I was perplexed. What was going on? It took me 15 minutes to figure this mystery out. Half an hour was left and the girl's answer sheet was still empty. I wanted to confirm my thoughts so I looked to my left and saw that the boy's answer sheet was empty too. Surprise! My blood boiled to the effect that I was unable to answer any question for the next 5 minutes. I was disgusted. The exam got over and the examiner started collecting the answer sheets. The girl had marked less than half the answers and the boy must have marked 20 answers max.

I do not know what to think of this. I do not have proof to assume that this was an act of cheating. Even tomorrow, if they do get a good rank I still will not have any proof to say they did not mark even 50% to be eligible, which by the way was written in the 'Instructions to candidates' section. You may say that I knew the exam was rigged well before I was even applying for it, then why this reaction. My friends, knowing and living with it because we can not do anything is one thing. But some one coming in the middle of your exam and exhibiting the act in public makes you wonder 'What is noble about this profession?' It did not take much to crush the little faith I had in our medical system and the people in it, that includes us budding doctors, big doctors or any one involved.

I do not wish bad for any one. But I really do pray that all those young hearts who have sacrificed their social life and years in attempting to get a post graduate seat in the field and place where they want. Saying this, I would like to tell all those struggling like me, that do not be disheartened, do not get upset. We live in a society which talks, eats and breathes money. It takes a lot not to be one of them and I salute those who are not.


PS- The figures for the number of students applying and the total number of seats is not confirmed but should be around that much.

11 comments:

  1. very well described but Im surprised this surprised you..I thought u must have known all these years how transparently corrupted PG asso cets are :) arre ul get a seat and literally have a cheap education :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Vyoma! That is exactly what I said in the blog...that I knew about the exam and its system well before I gave the exam. We knowing it and living with it is one thing, but seeing it happen in the middle of your exam is another. Nothing has changed, but I guess it was just that momentary anger, frustration and shock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i had seen same happening at PMT level too ...thanks u at least tried to blog it ...,raise ur voice at least now when u have had first hand experience.

      Delete
    2. Then I am sure you know the feeling. :)

      Delete
  3. What all you have written above speaks for thousands of people as like-minded as you (including me). It feels terrible to see things like these happening around us and knowing the fact that one cant do anything about it , just adds salt to the injury. The repercussions of these things happening as you mentioned above is that of losing faith in our medical profession. Every day feels like , you are being robbed of something, but still , i am a believer . I believe that my time will come, i will meet many like-minded people like you and bring about some change in the system , try to put an end to this corruption. I might be sounding absurd (that is what everyone keeps telling me that you cant change the system) but to myself i sound very rational and someday who knows with people like you alongside , one could reaaly bring the change. I am glad i read your wonderful blog. All the best .

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do not sound absurd. Let people say you can not change the system, but I, like you believe that you can change anything if one really wants to. Yes, in a set up like ours and the dirty politics it does seem a little impossible, but there is no harm in trying.

    Thank you and wish you all the luck too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ya its truth..
    each & every line u said...
    even my batchmates got admission through such sofisticated way..
    few struggled & got on merit..i did & doing my struggle to like anyone else...
    but i never feel sad or sorrow tht i didnt took seat thr such a way although i was & i am affording for such money.. But i did not & I shall never go by tht way...
    it was tough & complicated for me...
    although i will not write my blog story here.. ;)
    but yes this is hw system works.
    seats gets booked in prefinal/final yr only...
    still ordinary student in pseuobeleif fill this high costing forms & giv exams.. & results everone knows..
    its disheartning.. but nw i m used to it... Feel ashamed but cant help..
    its multicrore business.. atleast there are 40 deemed / private uni in all over india. each college has minimum 40 seats with each seat having donation from 60 lac- 1.75 crore depending upon seat tht everyone knws..
    nw court hearing gng on...
    so lets see nw where juditiary system wins ya money...
    there is lot more to talk & write..
    if i start then it will be next epic ramayana/mahabharta story abt system
    ..
    so i stop here with fingers croosed for case hearing..
    & thnks blogger for noting down each & evry genuine pg aspirants emotions...
    May god bless every pg aspirant with there merit & hardworks...
    thnks for listning my thoughts too ;)
    - Vaibhav Deshpande

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Tanvi,
    You have quite rightly summed up the sentiments a lot of medicos feel when they appear for these entrance exams. Having slogged for 2 years and finally clearing the exams I can quite firmly say that all the hardship is worth it. It may not be apparent to the general public but amongst doctors unless you have genuine hard work backing your practice, its simply not worth it. Having said so I hope you work hard and get through.
    Gagan V

    ReplyDelete
  7. had same experience .the guy who did not mark any answer got 3rd rank

    ReplyDelete
  8. y r u waiting 4 sc verdict.the judges and advcts r not gods.do u think they r hearing all these to give u justice.to get dat chair dey had spent crores nd crores.b4 retirement they hav to show justice to their wives nd children

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a better idea than waiting for the verdict? How do you suggest that we get a post graduate seat if we cant afford 1 crore? You seem to be a lawyer/judge yourself to write something like this.

      Anyway, if you do have suggestions as to get a PG seat and not wait for the SC verdict, please do post here!

      Delete